Friday, November 2, 2012

Meet the Rider - David "Comino" Fonseca


David "Comino" Fonseca
Written by Mark LaPaglia

Comino Chulito Oaxaca-Fonseca hales from the barrio of Bakersfield, CA. Having 6 sisters, 5 brothers, and 457 cousins… Comino quickly learned the only way to survive; be faster than the rest.  This applied to racing to the bathroom, the coveted “shotgun” position in the car, and especially to getting food before it was gone.  As Comino perfected the art of speed, he landed a job at an automotive shop where he made his living pimping-out four-wheeled vehicles. 

Now, Cumin is known for his ability to pimp-out your ride to help you implement his superfast survivalist style into your cycling regimen!  As one of the Sun ‘N Spokes Bicycle Shop’s trifecta, Comino is usually the first to say, “hello!”  Directly following his warm greeting, he is intensely contemplating parts, accessories, and adjustments to help you in your quest for speed.  Comino is always atop the latest and greatest in the cycling world. 

Outside the shop, you will find this lycra-wearing, long hair-having, cheesey grin-smiling cycling addict aboard one of his two Giant carbon fiber bikes.  On the mountain trails, he smiles as he listens to your lungs struggle for the necessitated oxygen that so devilishly evades your mouth and nostrils. On the road, he’s pulling wheelies while you’re wiping sweat from your riding glasses.  This crazy Latino loves riding, and does lots of it. Additionally, Cumin leads rides for cyclists of varying skill-levels.  He leads rides on both Saturday and Sunday mornings and participates in numerous group rides throughout the week.  So, if you’re looking for your ride to appear fast, be fast, or both… visit Comino Chulito OaxacaFonseca at Sun ‘N Spokes Bike Shop to consider yourself pimped!


1.       Give us a little background about how, when, and why you started cycling?

I started cycling when I first moved to Sierra Vista almost five years ago. I did ride a bike when I was younger, but mainly just to get around.  I think working at Sun N Spokes pushed me to take a step further into cycling. You can't just work at a bike shop and not ride bikes.


2.       What is your most proud bike-related accomplishment?


Proudest bike moment has probably been finishing the Cochise Classic 92 and the Tour de Tucson.

3.       What is your most memorable experience on a bicycle?

My most memorable experience was when I wrecked into a tree with my shoulder.  All I could think was "Great, I broke my collarbone," but I didn't...lucky me.

4.       What is your favorite type of riding and why?

My favorite is the one that requires you to pedal period!  As long as I'm on a bike with friends, I'm happy.

5.       What is your favorite post-ride meal/snack?

Whatever is in the fridge and already made with a Dr. Pepper or Coke on the side.

6.       Where is your favorite place to ride and why? 

I like riding in Prescott on the Whiskey course.  It has my favorite climbing and descending, and it has Whiskey Row which holds my favorite "beer".

7.       What is your favorite MTB trail and/or road ride and why?

Brown Canyon has been my favorite because I have learned so much from that trail and I have taken so many firsttime riders there and introduced them to MTBing.  As for road, nothing beats riding to Bisbee and stopping for great coffee and good food.

8.       What are your current bicycles?  

For my MTB I have a Giant XTC Composite 2 frame that I completely built up to my personal liking.  It has full XTR drivetrain, Easton Haven wheels, Easton EC90 stem, handlebar and seat post combo.  Love this bike!!
For my road bike I have a Giant TCR 0 with DI2 Ultegra that's pretty much stock. 

9.       What is your favorite brand of cycling clothing?

Castelli is by far my favorite because it's super comfortable, light, and long lasting.

10.   When you're not our riding your bike what are you doing?

Cooking!!!!!  Best past time ever!!!

11.   Do you have any cycling-related goals that you want to accomplish?

I would eventually like to work for a bike company.  Who, I don't know.  I haven't thought that far ahead because I'm too busy riding my bike

12.  Shimano or SRAM?

Shimano.  The quality control and the research and development make them flawless.

13.  What is your preferred on-the-bike food/drink?

Shot Blocks or Honey Stinger chews, and in my bottles I prefer Carbo Rocket 333.  Occasionally when we stop somewhere I will indulge in some coffee or a nice ice-cold Coke.




Comino carrying Trader's little brother.



1 comment:

  1. I like the statement: "this crazy Latino loves riding". I knew I wasn't the only crazy person that likes to ride. CM

    ReplyDelete